Three years ago, or was it four? I decided to liven up summer vacation by introducing Cookie Wednesdays. This has turned out to be a big hit.
The kids and I (okay, Matt too) decide what to make. Since summer break tends to be long, everyone gets to have his or her cookie and eat it too. Typically, we all run out of ideas before the end of summer. I know. It’s a cryin’ shame.
Why Wednesdays and not Tuesdays or Thursdays? Well, simply because Wednesdays are mid-week and I was really trying hard to cope with those long summer days. The great thing about these days are that the kids are involved in the cookie making process. However, they usually are anyway, so this really isn’t breaking news.
This week, I chose Chocolate Crispy Bars. They turned out to be delightful.
- 6 Tablespoons Salted Butter
- 10 ounces, weight Large Marshmallows
- *1/8 teaspoon Salt (optional)
- 1/3 cup Chocolate Spread (like Nutella)
- 6 cups Crispy cereal
- 1-1/2 cup Miniature Marshmallows
- 1 cup Pecans, Finely Chopped
- 5 ounces, weight Semi Sweet Chocolate Melted
- Melt 4 tablespoons in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add marshmallows and salt and stir until melted. Halfway through the melting process, add Nutella. When Nutella and marshmallows are melted, add additional two tablespoons of butter and stir until smooth.
- Meanwhile, melt semi-sweet chocolate over a double boiler until smooth.
- Add Crispy cereal to the large pot and fold in the chocolate mixture. When it's almost all combined, add mini-marshmallows to the bowl, then continue folding until everything's combined.
- Immediately press mixture into a thoroughly greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Sprinkle with half the pecans. Drizzle semi-sweet chocolate in zig-zags all over the top of the treats. Sprinkle rest of pecans on top.
- Allow to set before cutting.