First, let me tell you this: in our house, the TV is almost permanently tuned into the Food Network. Seriously – we love watching this station. When we change the channel, it typically gets changed to the Cooking Channel. Notice a pattern yet? Okay, so I have watched a few shows that talked about Mexican street corn and each time, my mouth started watering! So when I was at the grocery store last week, I saw some fresh ears of corn and decided it was time to give this a try. The other night, I cooked this up along with some grilled chicken tacos. Let me tell you… These were DELICIOUS! They got 2 thumbs up by the kids and grown-ups alike. If you’ve never tried this before, let me tell you – you are missing out! If you do try it, let me give you a hint – don’t be afraid to slather on the mixture. The more, the better!
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream or Mexican crema
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled cotija or feta cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho or guajillo chili powder, plus more for serving
- 1 medium clove garlic, finely minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 4 ears shucked corn
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, cheese, chili powder, garlic, and cilantro in a large bowl. Stir until homogenous and set aside.
- When grill is hot, place corn directly on to grill and cook, rotating occasionally, until cooked through and charred in spots on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes total.
- Transfer corn to plate and use a large spoon or spatula to evenly coat the corn on all sides with the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with extra cheese and chili powder and serve immediately with lime wedges.
*Photo and recipe courtesy of Serious Eats.