I have made this recipe several times. They are so delicious and super easy.
I usually half this recipe and have found that it turns out great, too. They have become part of the Barker’s Baking Repertoire for Christmas. Enjoy!
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 8 T. orange juice
- 1/2 T. ground cloves
- 1/2 T. ground cinnamon
- 7-8 cups flour
- 2 cups honey
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup walnuts (finely chopped) I substitute with pecans
- In a medium bowl, whisk sugar and olive oil to form a thin paste. Add the baking soda (dissolved in the orange juice) and remaining ingredients. Dough should be pliable enough to form a ball.
- Shape into oblongs. They will resemble footballs.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile make syrup. Combine honey, sugar, and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Turn off heat and skim the foam off. Drink it with a straw. Just kidding. Let cool.
- You may want to set up a cooling rack that is placed within a roasting pan or another cookie sheet to catch the drippings.
- Take a few cookies and soak them in the syrup (each side for 2 minutes or so). Place the dripping cookies on that rack and sprinkle them with those walnuts (pecans). Repeat for maximum deliciousness! Pour any left over syrup over the finished cookies (or pour it in your coffee).